Tuesday, November 6, 2007

November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month......

It has been awhile since I blogged anything on here. Not much has changed really. Because I don't go to the treatments with her, I really can't keep up week to week and have to rely on what she tells me. Of course, I do go the doctor's appointments.

Mom still has her Chemo treatments on Thursday's, with every 4th week off. She is on her 3rd round of Chemo. I don't remember which round it is, but after her 3rd or 4th round, then they will do another PET scan to see if they've made progress against the cancer.

Overall she's doing fairly well, all things considered. They gave her a different nausea medicine, so that has helped her out tremendously! Last week they had to give her Potassium and Magnesium, because her levels were low. I know she wasn't too thrilled about that, as she ended up being in the infusion center for a little over 5 hours.

On a sad and unrelated note, my "Papaw" passed away on the 28th of October. My adopted Papaw that is. Bernie Hansford had been in the hospital for over 2 weeks I believe. I don't know exactly what was wrong with him, but it kept developing into other problems. I'm so thankful that I got a chance to see him one last time. If ever there was a man who truly lived a Godly life, it was him. He's the reason I am baptized and really introduced me to the lord. I love you Papaw Bernie. Rest in Peace. Hopefully we'll meet again one day.

The reason for the title of this particular blog is exactly as it states, November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. I wrote several letters to the editors of local newspapers and was thrilled to see that the Daily World in Linton actually published it. There are a lot of facts about Lung Cancer people don't know and funding for research is sorely short. Here is the Letter I wrote to them. I've included the link if you would like to see it too:

Greene County Daily World Article

Help support the battle against Lung cancer
Monday, November 5, 2007
To the Editor:

Lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer death in the United States will claim the lives of 163,510 Americans this year alone. In Indiana, an estimated 5200 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer.

Of those diagnosed an estimated 3800 will die this year from the disease.

Lung cancer will kill more people this year than: Breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer and melanoma ... COMBINED!

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States.

Please visit www.lungcanceralliance.org and sign the petition to increase funding. There you will be able to see the "Faces of Lung Cancer," including my mothers, who was diagnosed in August of this year at the age of 59.

Lung Cancer Research is sorely underfunded and the death rates prove this. Cancer affects EVERYONE, not just the patients! They come from every walk of life and it could even be your next door neighbor. Knowledge is power, funding is key. Please support me in the battle to defeat this horrible disease.

It's time we bring this issue to light!

Tammi L. Duzan
Bloomfield


Of course they didn't use the title I wanted them too, but that's ok. At least they printed it. This is an issue now near and dear to my part. I may not be able to do much, but I can spread the word......hopefully this will help. I worry too, that one day I'll be afflicted with this deadly disease.

Well, I better get back to work now. I apologize for not blogging too often, however when there is really not much to blog about it seems pointless to get on here and blog about nothing. I'm sure mom wouldn't mind if you felt the need to call and talk to her. I'm sure it would break up the monotony of her days.

Until next time......

No comments:

Songs for Mom